Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Unable to access System Settings - weird error

I’ve had a lot to do lately why, there hasn’t been to much action here. I was involved in a Proof-of-concept for Microsoft CRM, SharePoint 2007, EPM 2007 and a few other products aswell. Very interesting work, but it left me a bit behind on the blog-front.

Well, as most of you probably already have heard, there is a Update Rollup containing lots of the hot-fixes previously released and also a few more features – like being able to set which attributes should be searchable in advanced find. You can download it here.

When working on the POC mentioned above I stumbled on a strange error. CRM worked fine (not the reports though, I found out at a later stage), but when I tried to access System Settings I got a really weird error message containing html-code. What had happened was this.

The VPC I was using had WSS v2 installed on port 80. I installed CRM on port 5555 (reporting services had been installed into port 80 /Reports and /ReportServer). After this I installed Enterprise Project Management (EPM) (i.e. WSS v3 with EPM addon), set it to work on port 80, thinking it would overwrite the existing WSS v2 and let Report Services work as it should. Utopia, this is not what happened.

What really happened was that EPM/WSS had switched off WSS v2 on port 80 and created a new website for port 80 (no host header). In other words, also switching off Reporting Services. When I tried to access System Settings in CRM, it tries to access Reporting Services for some of the settings and since WSS v3 was installed, it handled the call and returned an html-page displaying that the resource wasn’t available. This was handled by CRM as an exception and the content of the html-page was displayed in the error (as html-code).

So, what should I have done?
Uninstall WSS v2, install EPM/WSS v3, reinstall SQL RS, install CRM. Then I probably wouldn’t have experienced the problem I had above.
Use hostheaders to separate the different websites as suggested from Microsoft Swedens CRM guru Jonas Deibe.
I hope you don’t have to experience the same problem, since the only solution I feel works, is to reinstall.

Gustaf Westerlund
CRM and SharePoint Consultant

Humandata AB
www.humandata.se

No comments:

Post a Comment